Who we are:
We've spent the last 40 years mastering the art of helping business owners create the business and the life they've always wanted.
Small business is the lifeblood of our economy, but the people who own and operate them often don’t have the structure, tools, perspective, and support to succeed. We coach them in all the disciplines they never learned about building a business that works so they can find freedom for themselves and create a company that enriches the lives of their customers and employees.
The E-Myth Revisited, written by our founder Michael Gerber, is one of the 10 best-selling business books of all time and has inspired millions of business owners to work on their business, not just in it. Our Coaching Program, based on the principles of the book, is designed to help them make the transition from “technicians” whose business works because of them to leaders whose business can flourish without them.
You’re our kind of person if you know that business isn’t just business—it’s personal, if you really care about people, if you love creating with others to produce results that are greater than the sum of the parts, and if you’re unsatisfied with quick fixes and have an insatiable need to uncover the root cause of things that don’t work the way you want them to.
We teach our clients that a business is meant to give them more life, not less—so our work hours are sane, we resist politics, and we expect passion, not pretense. We respect each other’s differences and contributions because we know that a great company depends on us working together. We’re committed to an uncommonly genuine way of being with each other, our independent coaches, and our clients.
As VP of Finance & Operations, you’ll report directly to the CEO and be seen as a leader in the organization. You’ll oversee our accounting, IT, and general operation functions with a passion for consistency and continuous improvement.
You’re the person we’re looking for if:
- You’re a great balance between attention to detail and holding the big picture—moving from a 30,000 foot view to in the weeds quickly.
- You see numbers and spreadsheets as a story demanding to be told and are an artful communicator of the meaning behind the numbers.
- You love building and mentoring high-performance teams, guiding them to create outstanding results and real growth as people and professionals.
This is an opportunity to create significant growth and scale for a company that is an established brand and launched the business coaching industry four decades ago. It’s also an opportunity for you to grow personally and professionally, to find more of yourself, to push your limits, and to have a hand in creating something truly spectacular.
- Maintaining our annual forecasting system, with quarterly updates, analyzing the changes on a weekly basis.
- Communicating with team leaders about anticipated changes to revenues and spending, monitoring the impact on our financials.
- Overseeing corporate tax strategy and managing the relationship with our external CPA firm.
- Oversight of human resources functions, including payroll, hiring, and coordinating compensation in accordance with our company’s compensation philosophy.
- Regularly review all of our HR and benefits partner relationships for cost savings as well as levels of care provided.
- Ensuring progress is being made toward our commitment to diversity and pay equity.
- Development and maintenance of our internal systems, action plans, and related documentation.
- Acting as a strategic advisor on product strategy, resource needs, financial models, and operational efficiency.
- Participate in the annual strategic planning process, providing significant strategic and financial modeling support throughout the year.
- Oversee contracts, legal documents, corporate filing responsibilities, and legal claims (for or against us).
- Maintain, manage and protect all legal, copyright and intellectual property of the company.
Your background and experience:
- You thoroughly depend on metrics and analytics, but would never sacrifice a strong intuition for quantification.
- You have 5 to 10 years experience managing the Finance or Operations function of a business.
- You understand the value of systems and structure (and love the idea of developing systems in your own department in alignment with EMyth’s perspective on systems).
- Your people management skills are outstanding: recognizing talent, finding talent, mentoring talent, and growing talent.
- You recognize that Finance and Operations can lead the organization forward to more effortlessly realize our vision by
- You think iteratively, always developing hypotheses for the impact of what you want to have, assessing your accuracy, and working to sharpen that skill.
- You’re a leader and aspire to be an even better one. You know that involves taking some risks, making something out of nothing, and rallying your people around a compelling idea.
- You’re a strong communicator and are able to translate complex information into insights that give people a deeper understanding of our business.
- You, ideally, have a Masters in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other related fields, or equivalent experience.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter telling us about yourself.
EMyth is a proud equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from all people regardless of race, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran or disabled status, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation.